Visit the official TOW website at
CD RELEASE PARTY
FRIDAY, JULY 27TH
THE STATE THEATRE
FALL'S CHURCH, VA
THE ORDINARY WAY
18+ / SHOW AT 8
The Ordinary Way have set their sights on the world. Their music has not been compared to anyone, and they consider that an honor. Incorporated into the music are elements of almost all styles including but not limited to funk, rock, jazz, blues, improvisation, reggae, soul, and gospel. They move you, and listening is not an option when you cant help but feel it.
Let the band know what you have to say,
or want to hear by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Managed By Full Steam Ahead
(call 703-352-1474 for any information or bookings)
Home base is the Northern Virginia area including Washington D.C., and current routing brings them as far north as Vermont and Rochester, and as far south as the tip of Florida. Acts they have shared the stage with include Schleigho, Mecca Bodega, Agents of Good Roots, Keller Williams, The David Nelson Band, ulu, Fat Mama, Sanjay Mishra, Blue Miracle, David Gans, Ode To Abbey, and Juggling Suns. Venues have ranged from the classy new State Theatre in Falls Church, Virginia to some dumpy dives youve never heard of and everything in between - including the summer festival circuit.
Rising is The Ordinary Ways first EP and they have sold 1000 copies of it in just over six months, and are on their second pressing now. Their second album, "Death and Taxes" will be released in early July, 2001.
"Rise", "Stone Woman", and "Heaven" off of their cd Rising were played on the television program "Outward Bound" on the Discovery Channel which appeared on Saturday, October 28th. "Rising" was also reviewed in the October issue of Relix magazine, and the December issue of Jambands.com.
The band consists of seven members with others on some nights. Gordon Sterling is on lead guitar and vocals. Chris Stringfellow does the bass and rhythm guitar. Austin Mendenhall plays the mandolin and rhythm / lead guitar. Joe Joyce hits the skins and percussion. Jesse Hooper pounds the keyboards, Fabienne Gustave belts out lead and backup vocals, and Ryan Leonardo is on percussion.
None of this means anything till you see them perform. Some bands are just live bands, and this is one of them. The Ordinary Way has a concept behind it. Perform each night as if it were the last one, be as professional as possible, always remember what is important, and leave everyone with a smile, a dropped jaw and a tired ass from too much shaking.
The Ordinary Way have been confirmed for the 4th of July on the Mall which
is usually in front of 5-10,000 people!
The new CD "Death and Taxes" is almost done. It will be released by the end of July.
The second cross country tour is in the planning stages for this summer. Dates have already been booked for the east coast and south east!
Upcoming and Recently Past Shows:
You can go to the FSA Venues Page to get complete info (street addresses, maps, phone numbers, etc) on the venues listed here.
- Fri, Feb 9 Slade Hall in Burlington, Vermont
- Sat, Feb 10 Nectars in Burlington, VT
- Fri, Feb 16 123 Pleasant Street in Morgantown, WV
- Sun, Feb 18 Jaxx in Springfield, VA with Jacob Fred Jazz Oddysey
- Wed, Feb 21 Eastport Clipper in Annapolis, MD
- Fri, Feb 23 The Jewish Mother in Virginia Beach, VA
- Thu, Mar 1 The Recher Theatre with STRANGEFOLK
- Fri, Mar 2 Giorgio's in Williamsburg, VA
- Sat, Mar 3 Cary Street Cafe in Richmond, VA with Rhesus
- Sat, Mar 10 Special Show in Centreville, VA
(Ask band member for details)
- Fri, Mar 16 Fat Tuesday's in Fairfax, VA with Black Eyed Susan
- Sat, Mar 17 Bennigans at Tysons Corner for 94.7 WARW
- Sat, Mar 24 Murphy's in Boone, NC
- Wed, Mar 28 JMU Tibetan Freedom Festival with Dr. Didg
- Fri, Mar 30 Napolean's in Warrenton, VA
- Fri, Apr 6th Giorgios in Williamsburg, VA
- Sat, Apr 14 THE RETURN TO PATRIOT'S CAFE
- Wed, Apr 18 Main Street in Harrisonburg, VA
- Thu, Apr 19 Eastport Clipper in Annapolis, MD with Brother Chameleon
- Fri, Apr 20 The Norva in Norfolk, VA with AMFIBIAN and Big Frog
- Sat, Apr 21 DA FUNKY PHISH in Bayshore, NJ with Nappy Head P-Funk Army
- Fri, Apr 27 4th of July Fundraiser in Southern MD, Location TBA
(the band takes a one month break to complete the new album "Death and Taxes"
- Fri, May 25 Fat Tuesday's in Fairfax, Virginia
- Sat, May 26th Headlining The Spring Gathering at Clifford Park
- Fri, Jun 1 Sunshine Daydream in Terra Alta, WV
with The All Mighty Senators and others
- Fri, Jun 8th Spiders Den Summer Soul Festival in Front Royal, VA
- Sat, Jun 9th HARPERS FERRY in Boston, MA with Entrain
- Wed, Jun 13th 8x10 in Baltimore, MD
- Thu, Jun 14th Cary Street Cafe in Richmond, VA
- Mon, Jun 18th Firehouse Grill in Fairfax, VA
- Wed, July 4th FOURTH OF JULY RALLY ON THE MALL IN DC
TOW play right before The All Mighy Senators at around 5
- Fri, July 13th Fat Tuesday's in Fairfax, Virginia
- Mon, July 16th Firehouse Grill in Fairfax, VA
- Sat, July 21th Terra Alta, WV with Ekoostik Hookah and JMP
- Thu, July 26th Giorgios in Williamsburg, VA
- Fri, July 27th CD RELEASE PARTY AT STATE THEATRE
- Sat, July 28th Cary Street Cafe in Richmond, VA
- Mon, July 30th JAXX BATTLE OF THE BANDS
Help us win 5 grand!!
- Fri, Aug 3rd Nelson Ledges in Ohio with Ekoostik Hookah
- Fri, Aug 10th The Jam Session at Clifford Park
- Sat, Aug 11th Mexicali Blues in Teaneck, NY w/ Railroad Earth
- Fri, Aug 17th JAXX with Robby Krieger of the Doors
in Springfield, VA
- Sat, Aug 25th Baltimore, MD (location tba)
- Fri, Aug 31st Fat Tuesday's with Ubiquitone
- Sat, Sept 1 Club Boyds in Fredricksburg, MD
- Fri, Sept 14 Nelson Ledges Quarry Park in Ohio with Bernie Worrell
- Sat, Sept 15 Cicero's in St. Louis, MO
- Fri, Sept 21 Woodward Music Festival in Tunetown, PA
- Thu, Sept 27th Chesters in Fayettesville, AR
- Sat, Sept 29th Juanita's in Little Rock, AR
Cross Country Tour begins after the Woodward show,
and we don't come home till Halloween
- Thu, Oct 11 Legends Lounge in Las Vegas, NV
- Sat, Oct 13 Nimbus Brewery in Tuscon, AZ
- Sat, Oct 27 Hookland Festival in Snow Camp, NC
- Wed, Oct 31 Jaxx in Springfield, VA(homecoming)
Visit mp3.washingtonpost.com or MP3.com/theordinaryway to download songs.
The Ordinary Way are kicking ass is all there is to say. The CD "Rising" is now on sale at Tower Records, Kemp Mill, Island Dyes, Sam Goody, and CD Warehouse in University Mall. It is also available on-line at degyshop.com, where you can use your credit card and hear sound bytes off the album as well.
Bands we've played with
Agents of Good Roots The All Mighty Senators
Babba Seth The Big Wu Black Eyed Susan
Blue Miracle Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Down To Earth
Ekoostik Hookah Electric Red Everything Bagels
Fat Mama Galactic David Gans Good Charlotte
Good Question David Grisman Indoe Loop
John Scofield Tim Reynolds Tribe of Ben Mecca Bodega
Sanjay Mishra Jacob Fred Jazz Oddysey
Jah Works Jhinx Juggling Suns
Keller Williams Lake Trout Mother Freedom
David Nelson Band The Next Step Ode To Abbey
Rebus The Recipe
Rhesus Schleigho SEV Strangefolk
Slim Splintered Sunlight ulu The Vogonz
Yonder Mountain String Band
If anyone out there would be willing to hand out flyers for The Ordinary Way where you live and frequent, please call me at 703-352-1474. We can offer low pay, good music, the occasional pass, and damn good opportunity.
web page design by David
©2000-2001 Full Steam Ahead Inc.
Last Updated: Aug 1, 2001 by DS